Rogue One LucasFilm Update: TRAILER 2 FEATURED ABOVE
Synopsis: Lucasfilm Rogue One, which takes place before the events of Star Wars: A New Hope, tells the story of unlikely heroes who have united to steal plans to the dreaded Death Star.
The cast includes Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Jiang Wen, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Riz Ahmed, and Forest Whitaker. “Rogue One” is directed by Gareth Edwards
Any fan of this series will agree after viewing this trailer update that this is likely the closest script to Empire Strikes Back we’ve seen yet.
- This is the tenth live action “Star Wars” movie (if excluding the Holiday Special), not forgetting two Ewok TV movies.
- Tatiana Maslany, Rooney Mara and Kate Mara auditioned for the female lead role of Jyn Erso, which went to Felicity Jones.
- This film is set before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope and five years after Star Wars Rebels.
- Joel Edgerton, Dominic West, Mark Strong, Taylor Kitsch, Joel Kinnaman, Sam Worthington, Charlie Hunnam, and Gerard Butler were rumored for roles in this film.
- Filming of Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One reportedly started on July 1, 2015 at Pinewood Studios, London.
- This is the first installment in the Star Wars: Anthology series.
- Though existing in the same timeframe as Star Wars Rebels, it was revealed that characters from the series will not crossover to the movie. Both Dave Filoni and Gareth Edwards felt that they should exist on their own, rather than build off each other.
- This film marked the first time in which John Williams did not compose the live-action theatrical Star Wars film musical score they accompanied said film.
- Alan Tudyk is playing a droid character named K-2SO, through motion capture technology. Tudyk also previously played the robot character Sonny in I, Robot (2004).
- This is the first live action “Star Wars” spin-off film to appear in U.S. theaters. The Ewok TV movies, The Ewok Adventure and Ewoks: The Battle for Endor, were released theatrically in Europe and other territories.
- The idea for this film came from ILM visual effects supervisor John Knoll. He received a story credit and served as an executive producer of the film.
- The character name Jyn Erso is thought to be a reference to Jan Ors, a character in the video game Star Wars: Dark Forces. In the first mission of the game, Ors and Kyle Katarn recover the plans to the Death Star.
- At least two of the astromechs seen in the background on the Resistance base on D’Qar in Star Wars: The Force Awakens can also be spotted rolling around the Rebel base on Yavin IV in Rogue One, namely R4-M9 and R5-X3.
- Joel Edgerton was considered for a role in this movie. He had previously appeared as Owen Lars in “Star Wars” episodes two and three. However, the character could very well appear within this new story.
- This is the second collaboration between director Gareth Edwards and composer Alexandre Desplat. Their first was in the 2014 incarnation ofGodzilla.